Monday, December 1, 2014

The Holiday Knitting Race is On!

How many out there have finished their holiday projects?  As usual, I'm way behind (maybe running a yarn shop has something to do with it?).  I had a plan this year, really I did, and then at Turkey Day (2013), my MIL mentioned that she's always cold.  Then I glanced at my holiday copy of "Knit Simple" (2013), saw the garter stitch sweater on the cover and figured " perfect gift!   Oh, this should be easy"......and cast on Saturday night, November 30th.

Normally, I can choose(guess) the correct size to knit without any trouble.   So I cast on, and fortunately, due to traffic whilst returning youngest son back to school, had a good four hours of knitting time.  Back of sweater just flew off the needles.  Then I looked at it and kept debating if it would really be the correct size.  I actually checked the gauge (off by 2 stitches and 2 rows.)    I asked opinions at the shop, had several customers who were of a similar size let me hold it up.  I decided to start a front panel and make it the next size up.  The devil on my shoulder tried to tell me I could block and make it fit.  The angel on the other shoulder told me to start over, now before it gets any closer to the holiday.  After about ten rows, the devil and angel on my shoulders agreed and said "give it up!"  So, I frogged the front, recast  going up a sweater size and needle size. So far,  so good.

Now the problem is that this is a self-striping yarn, with good color runs, but I remembered that MIL, who is/was an amazing sewer, is also a perfectionist, so I really should try to match the colors.  (I promise the next time I plan a sweater, I will really think this through before starting.)  It became apparent that with the back being wider, the stripes would be more narrow (notice, they never show you the back of the sweater in the magazine).  So, of course, the front panel has a wider stripe...

I have already wound off yarn from the existing balls to keep the color changes together, and have several small balls in the knitting bag.  Since I have to frog the back anyway, my plan is to use to balls and widen the stripes on the back, so that they will more closely match the front.

So here we are, Turkey Day, 2014  and the sweater is closer to being finished.  The only problem?  I worked on it a bit here and there over the last year, and usually, I'm very good about keeping the pattern with the project, (which was living in the dining room). Lo and behold, the pattern has gone AWOL.  I have managed to track down another copy, so this may actually work.

On another note, I posted in January a picture of a sock made with Raggi.  It wasn't until a few days later that I realized, that I forgot to turn the heel!  No way would this sock fit the son it was knitted for.  I knitted the second sock with another modification, which son said fit better, so since I was already partially frogging the sock,  I frogged all the way back and started the first one over.  Problem:  I need the end of the ball to finish the toe.  Big problem:  Can't find the end of either ball.  I never get rid of sock yarn ends (may have to darn one some day).  I'm convinced the yarn shop gnomes have followed me home and are having fun at my expense.

And so, the holiday knitting race is really on!


No comments:

Post a Comment